Saturday, June 13, 2009

Jalapeno Pepper Jam

Today I made my sister's recipe, Jalapeno Pepper Jam. It is one of our favorites around our home. I put it over chicken or ham to bake or on a cracker that is smothered in cream cheese. This batch I made is very hot. I taste tested it and my mouth burned instantly. Ha! At least I had sense enough not to burn my hands this time when handling them.



Always make sure you start with a clean kitchen! One trick I learned from my sister and our girlfriend Heidi, is to always have a sink full of hot, soapy water. I've gotten in the habit of doing this every time I'm in the kitchen. It is so much easier to clean up as you go along especially when you are canning. This process sure can be sticky.


I've got them all packed and in the Steam Canner


This is the steam canner. I had no idea what my friend Stacie was talking about a couple years ago when she was talking about this and I was talking about the hot water bath. She didn't know about the hot water bath either. She is from Montana and this is what her grandmother always used. Of course I only remember my mom and family using the hot water bath. This works the same way but it is awesome because you just fill the bottom part with a little water. You put the top on and when steam starts to come out of the little hole....you start the timer. No more huge bath of boiling water to deal with.


After I take them out of the steamer I love hearing all the lids "pop"!


Jalapeno Pepper Jam
4 Cups finely chopped jalapeno
1 chopped sweet red pepper
1 can apple juice
2 T lemon juice
1 pkg pectin
8 Cups sugar

-Combine all ingredients except sugar and bring to a boil. Add sugar - return to a boil for one minute.
Process in hot water bath for 5 minutes....
*Adjust time for higher altitudes :)

Tomorrow I'm going to try this recipe with less jalapenos. Instead I'm going to use more sweet red peppers. I love experimenting and I'm sure it will taste just as good.
Lady was picked up by Stacie this afternoon so I no longer need to worry about losing her again. James came home tonight and she wasn't here and the first thing he said was "did you lose Lady again?" Ha! I told him if that was the case I would be in tears!! I went to the garden store today and bought some marble rocks for my garden...pictures to follow next week. :)

No comments: