Sunday, July 12, 2009

Granola Bars

I have been making my own granola bars for a couple of years. James loves taking them in his lunch and I was so tired of paying $3.00 to $5.00 for a box of granola bars that were so small you could eat them in one bite. These probably do have a lot of calories but they are still healthier. I've had several requests for my recipe which is from "Martha's Family Cookery Book" by Martha Greene.

Granola Bars
3 Cups brown sugar, packed
2 Cups cooking oil (canola, safflower or corn oil)
Add in:
4 eggs
Beat in:
2 tsp vanilla flavoring
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 Cups rolled oats
1 Cup walnuts, chopped
1 Cup shredded coconut (optional)
4 Cups whole wheat flour

Divide batter evenly between 2 greased 11x17 baking pans and spread out evenly. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Cut into squares while warm. Remove from pan to cool.
*You can use 1 Cup of any dried fruit like raisins, cranberries, dates or apple pieces.

*I place chocolate chips on the tops right before putting in the oven. Then I spread it before I cut.


It really does make a lot. This is before I put them in the oven. It does take a few times making them to get a system down where it's easy to spread and cut.


I have a Bosch Universal mixer that I mix the dough up with. If you are going to use a kitchen aid I would recommend cutting the recipe in half.
These granola bars freeze well.

No comments: