Thursday, February 26, 2009

Wonderful Book To Read

I'm reading this most fascinating book. I'm only two chapters in but can't wait to get my pajamas on tonight and dive into the third chapter.
Here are a couple of passages from the book that have really gotten me thinking today.
Just to set the scene for you, this first passage is a conversation between Corrie and her father. She takes time during their trips to Amsterdam to ask her father questions she is unable to ask at home with all the family around giving their own input. There is a specific word that was discussed in a poem at school. Nobody seemed willing to explain its meaning. Here is the conversation she and her father have regarding the word.
He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted his traveling case from the rack over our heads, and set it on the floor.
"Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?" he said.
I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning.
"It's to heavy," I said.
"Yes," he said. "And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is to heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you."
And I was satisfied. More than satisfied-wonderfully at peace. There were answers to this and all my hard questions - for now I was content to leave them in my father's keeping.

Are we giving our children simple, Biblical based answers to their questions or do we act stunned and dismayed when they ask us things? Do we go on and on about things they really don't need to know about yet or do we give them these simple, well guided answers so they are content for the time being. Are we as parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents and adults reading books with substance along with the Bible so that we can learn how to deal with these questions and conversations with children or are we getting our knowledge from television and radio? If you spend much time in front of the television having things put into your brain that are sinful and Godless, I encourage you to turn them off and pick up a wonderful book to read. There is so much to learn from the Godly generations before us. Don't forget that even as adults we are suppose to be careful with what we hear, see and put in our minds.

At the end of chapter two, Corrie is frightened and distraught over a family that lost a little one. Her father comes to tuck her in at night and this particular night she fell to tears.

"I need you!" I sobbed. "You can't die! You can't!"Father sat down on the edge of the narrow bed. "Corrie," he began gently, "when you and I go to Amsterdam - when do I give you your ticket?"I sniffed a few times considering this. "Why, just before we get on the train." "Exactly. And our wise Father in heaven knows when we're going to need things, too. Don't run out ahead of Him, Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need-just in time."

I believe that the above part of the story needs no explanations. It speaks for itself.


No comments: