Thursday, September 9, 2010

Waiting for Emma

I have quite a few thoughts on adoption and the adoption process.  Many ask James and I lots of questions regarding adoption and our adoption experience.  I first tell people that everybody has a different experience when adopting.  No two situations are the same.    "How long does it take?" is one of the many questions we get asked.
Last week James and I were discussing how many couples were placed with their children before we got a call being matched.  Many of our friends started the process after us and were being placed before us.   It seems years went by (well some years did go by) before we even seemed to be considered.  Being open to just about any situation did not make the process go any faster for us.   I had to learn how to be content without being a mother.  Eventually I came to the realization that maybe it was never going to happen for us.  I'm so glad that James and I are both believers in Christ because I firmly believe...no, I KNOW...that trusting in Him made the time that we waited easier.  Okay, maybe I wasn't happy all the time but I was content knowing that He was in control.
Last week James said:  "why does it take some people less then a few months to be placed with a baby but it took us forever?"  Emma was playing on the floor chit chatting away.  I said to him: "would you have wanted to be placed with a child any sooner.  God gave us Emma and she was worth the wait because He had her in mind for us all along."  With this, James smiled and of course agreed whole heartily.  
I will admit that if we had known what God's plan was all along that would have made certain times easier.  But, that isn't how it works.  It is so good to know that just because we aren't "happy" all the time we can be "content" knowing that He has a plan for us.  
 

Proverbs 3:5-6  Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on you understanding:  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

2 comments:

Sarah Tressia said...

very true!

NoleGirl said...

Besides... if you had a different child placed with you, I wouldn't have been able to gain my new friend! That you and James were who got to be Emma's parents is the only thing that made it easier on me to give her up. I think God knew that we would be good friends and used Emma to help bring us together. :) I thank God for that!